Friday, November 25, 2005

it's my party and i'll fry if i want to

the sandra update: don't worry, this'll be quick.

1) turned 29 last saturday. slept all afternoon waiting for my dad who said sorry by giving me flowers (now in a vase on my dining table). gorged on strawberry ice cream the next day. had a party at my house wednesday evening. served loads of carbs (lemony creamy pasta, muffins+scones, cheese+baguettes, tuna parsley sauce, potato salad, pita+hummus, chocnut fudge pie) to unsuspecting guests. said guests went home reeling from cholesterol overload. thursday the 24th, around noon, 2 colleagues stopped me in the corridors of FC to say i was getting fat. am i missing something?

2) finally got a phone! my tita ninang got sick of my pathetic phoneless state and gave/lent me her old nokia clunker, which despite my disparaging horrible ungrateful tone here i really actually do appreciate. really, i do.

3) realized my spiritual birthday was sometime in october last year. me trusty little tungsten e2 has the exact date but am too lazy to fetch it und czech. if only i can train my pda to come running when i need it. alas, it has no legs. conclusion: my dog is waaaay smarter than any old handheld computer.

4) bought a toilet. yep, you read it right. it's a set: water closet (yknow, ze thingy you sit on), tank (more efficient, uses less water), lavatory (the sink thing), stand for lavatory, toilet paper dispenser (you hack a big enough hole in your bathroom wall and stuff this into the aperture), soap dish (ditto). ceramic parts all in what manufacturers like to call "Soft Ivory". got it all cheap at trusty sm north hardware annex for less than eight grand. yep, you read it right. cheaper than a phone! that includes all the metal things they call "fittings". everything's under my bed for now. gotta raise clams to buy nice tiles and a snazzy hot shower contraption that won't KAZZAP-kill me in the end.

5) got myself into what looks like a really challenging (read: difficult as heck) american lit class where we write short papers on a regular basis. must point out that the inability to write such got me into this mess in the first place. but know that i'm not that big an idiot, i'd like to think i'll do okay.

6) had to go have 3 of my skirts altered. they were so tight around the waist i was afraid of getting gangrene from lack of circulation. so yes, it's official: i'm a 29-year-old fatty. ack.

3 comments:

Joseph Nathan Cruz said...

what do you mean by "spiritual birthday"?

sairo said...

i'm pretty new to the idea too. (these baptists have some very strange notions that i'm still trying to unnerstand.) apparently, your spiritual birthday is when you really truly start believing in christ in a visceral personal way, when you let christ in and you start the slow transformation into the person God means you to be. so your spiritual birthday celebrates your rebirth in christ. at least that's how my discipler explains it to her kids.

Anonymous said...

Dear Sandra,

Happy birthday - fashionably late. You are a year older and a year wiser.

Cheers
Tenzin